You have got it threaded, you have got it bleached. Still it appears to be dark above your lips. It finally occurs to you that it’s not the facial hair, rather it’s the skin tone itself that’s making it appear dark. Looks like a moustache shadow indeed. Moustache shadow is nothing but slightly darker upper lip than the rest of the facial skin colour. It can be either a temporary phenomena or a permanent feature of someone’s face. There are multiple reasons due to which the upper lip skin starts appearing darker. It could be due to hormonal changes, excessive exposure to sun, over threading and mishandling of the upper lip zone, etc. Now you must be wondering why do these factors tend to affect generally the upper lip area compared to the rest of the face. The answer is pretty simple. Because this part of your face is very delicate and with regular waxing and threading it becomes lot more delicate. Well, if you are also among those people who suffer from it, worry no more. Let’s focus on some simple to do home remedies to overcome this problem.
- Sunscreen: Since exposure to sun is linked to darkening of skin in general, it will be wise to use sunscreen with SPF 50 daily on your upper lip at least 30 minutes prior to stepping out in sun. Do not restrict the sunscreen use to only summer months. Apply it during winters as well.
- Lemon and Honey: Lemon is a natural lightening Apply undiluted lemon juice mixed with half spoon honey on the affected area. Leave it on for 30 minutes so that all the lemon juice gets nicely soaked by the skin. Rinse it off with water. With regular practice for at least three weeks, the moustache shadow will definitely lighten.
- Peroxide mask: prepare a mask with 10 g milk powder, 20 drops of hydrogen peroxide, and 2 drops of lemon. Mix all these three ingredients in a bowl to form a paste and apply it on your upper lip with a cotton swab. Leave it on for 5 minutes and rinse it properly with water later. Do this continuously for 10 days to see some visible improvement.
- Cucumber Juice: Put cucumber juice on the affected area to soothe it as the skin has needs to be relaxed for it to heal properly. Leave the juice for 20-30 minutes and wipe it off with wet cotton swab.
- Honey Almond mask: Soak 3-4 almonds over night and peel off the skin next morning. Grind the soaked and peeled almonds to make into a fine paste. Mix it with half a teaspoon pure honey and apply this paste on your upper lip. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and wash it off with cold water.
- Potato Juice: Potato is also a natural lightening agent. Grate on potato finely and squeeze out the juice. With the help of your finger tip apply this juice on your upper lip at 5 minutes interval and let it get soaked properly. Do it for 30-45 minutes. Rinse off the juice later with water.
- Full Cream Milk: Apply full cream milk with the help of a cotton swab soaked in the milk. Rub it gently over your upper lip. Let it get absorbed for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Aloe Vera Gel: Directly apply the aloe vera gel on the affected area and leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse it with lukewarm water. Aloe vera is highly effective in fighting moustache shadow.
I am sure, with so many options to fight the moustache shadow, all you need is dedication, patience and effort. If you follow the above suggestions, you will soon get rid of this dark shadow looming over your lips and your healthy upper lip will be restored in full glory. So, what are you waiting for? Get going!